- July 1 – 16: Pick Up Illinois. Check out our proposed route and contact Lily Berman (ms.lily.berman at gmail dot com) to partner up on a potluck, community volunteer day, or to just tell us your ideas
- July 16: Beautify the Gateway City – Volunteer Day. Help Pick Up America pick up St. Louis! Meet us at 10 a.m. at the Visitor’s Center in Forest Park. You’re welcome to leave your car parked there. If you have any questions, call 301-915-6572.
Coming to an event or have something to tell us?
As of June 7th, 2011 the Pick Up Artists and friends have traveled 977.1 miles and removed 107,029 pounds of litter with 332 volunteers. (FIFTY-THREE TONS!) We have completed pick-ups in Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana! We’ve stopped for the winter and are preparing for our departure from Ripley, Ohio on March 4th, 2011. On average, the group removes 109.5 pounds of litter per mile they travel.
*If you would like to VOLUNTEER, please call 301-523-1257 or 301-523-2879. Thanks!
2010 Documentary: Picking Up America
2010 TRIP STATISTICS
2011 TRIP STATISTICS
MAPS OF COMPLETED ROUTES
MAPS OF PROPOSED ROUTES
If you would like to volunteer, or get your business, church/family to partner with us on a clean-up, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator Kim Alexander: PickUpAmerica at gmail.com
We can provide anyone with community service hours for your help!!
We like to break bread, share ideas, pick up trash, dance and make music with you! If you’d like to help us set up an event, contact our Community Outreach Director Lily Berman: ms.lily.berman at gmail.com
We’re open to any ideas/events you think we’d be a great addition to. However, we have designed programs for:
- Community Trash Clean-Ups: Does your community have an area in need of a large clean-up effort? We’ll stop in on the weekend to “Pick Up (insert name of your town).” With your help in organizing friends and volunteers, we can coordinate a clean-up together.
- Evening Potlucks: A meal shared with new friends is better than eating alone. Potlucks are a chance for folks to connect before or after community clean-ups — a time to share music, dance, and ideas.
- A Zero-Waste Workshop: The Pick Up Artists have designed a presentation outlining why they are walking, the dangers of excessive plastic use, and how to achieve a zero-waste society. This is our best avenue for idea exchange. The presentation can be adapted to fit any age group or audience.
- A Movement Workshop: Experience the collective motion of a group as a means for building strength in the community. Participants will create a site-specific performance to show family and friends.
- A Musical Performance: The Pick Up Artists are musicians. We would love any opportunity or avenue to perform some of our original and classic folk tunes with you.
This page has the following sub pages.